Faculty Positions in Astrophysics at Instituto de Astrofisica de Atacama, Copiapo (Chile)
The Instituto de Astrofisica de Atacama (IAA) at the Universidad De Atacama (UDA) in Copiapo (Chile) invites applications for two faculty positions to join the IAA team.
The successful candidates will join a group of five faculty working on a broad range of research topics and will have access to the Chilean Time in a broad array of facilities, including ALMA, VLT, Gemini, Magellan, LSST, GMT and the E-ELT.
We are particularly interested in candidates with strong experience in one or more of these fields:
- Origin, structure and evolution of planets, satellites, and minor bodies in the Solar System;
- Extrasolar Planets;
- Formation, structure and evolution of stars;
- Milky Way: stellar populations, star clusters, variable stars, galactic structure;
- Terrestrial Mars analogs;
The positions carry teaching duties in astronomy at the undergraduate level, with a load of 6h per week. The working language is English. While knowledge of Spanish is not required (teaching can be done in English), the successful candidates are expected to teach in Spanish within two years.
The appointment at UDA will be for three years, with a first probation year, and the position is further extendable subject to performance.
Applicants should have a PhD in astronomy or physics or related sciences completed at least 3 years prior to the starting day of the contract.
To receive full consideration, applications must be sent by Friday 18 of March 2016, although the position will remain open until filled. Start date is expected to be October 2016.
Applications must be submitted by e-mail to Mauro Barbieri (mauro.barbieri @ uda.cl
), and they should include:
- Cover letter,
- Curriculum Vitae,
- List of publications,
- Statement of recent research achievements (max. 2 pages),
- An outline of future research (min. 2 pages, max. 10 pages),
- The contact details of three referees (one needs to be the last employer, the others needs to be aware of the recent work of the candidate).
Questions may be addressed to the previous e-mail address.
Universidad de Atacama
Instituto de Astrofisica de Atacama
Convocatoria Programa de Insercion de Investigadores en la UDA