PhD-level positions in the field of extra-solar planets at CAUP
PhD-level positions in the field of extra-solar planets
The Centro de Astrofisica da Universidade do Porto (CAUP) opens a call for 3 PhD level student positions. The positions are offered in the context of the Starting Grant "EXtra-solar planets and stellar astrophysics: towards the detection of Other Earths (EXOEarths)" funded by the European Community/European Research Council under the FP7 Ideas programme.
The positions, with a maximum duration of 1 year, are open in the field of extra-solar planets, and are to be started from the 1st of October 2013.
The fellowships have a yearly income of 11 760 euros, tax free. Funds for traveling (conferences, collaborations, observing missions) are also available. University fees will also be covered if the candidate is willing to register as PhD student in the University of Porto.
The successful candidates are expected to pursue research on topics such as:
- Spectroscopic reduction and radial velocities, with a focus in the near-IR;
- Spectroscopic analysis of stars with planetary systems, with a focus on M-dwarfs;
- Extra-solar planet searches;
- Detection of exo-planetary atmospheres.
The successful students will be integrated in the team on "Origin and Evolution of Stars and Planets" at CAUP.
The application, to be submitted by email, should include the following:
- Cover letter/e-mail with a brief description of the candidate's experience and motivation;
- Curriculum Vitae (up to 4 pages) including, if available, a complete list of scientific publications (up to 1 additional page);
- A complete list of academic courses (University level) previously followed, and respective grades;
- Name and contact details (position, email, address) of two referees, available to provide information about the candidate (to be contacted if considered necessary).
Only applications from candidates having an adequate background in Astronomy, Physics, Mathematics, or other relevant domains, will be considered. Preference will be given to students willing to enroll on a PhD program. After the 1st year, the successful PhD student candidate will be encouraged to apply for extra-funding opportunities to complete his/her PhD studies.
A short-list of candidates will be defined in the first stage of the evaluation based on the application submitted by email. The short-listed applicants will likely be required to attend an interview at CAUP for the second stage of the evaluation. If necessary the interview will be done by teleconference. Following the second stage the contracts will be offered according to the ordering proposed by the selection committee.
For inquires and submission of applications please contact Dr. Nuno C. Santos.
The deadline for application is the 30th of June 2013.
The positions will be granted only if suitable candidates are found.
Nuno C. Santos
Sérgio A. G. Sousa
Pedro P. Avelino
3rd of May 2013
Closing date: 2013-06-30