4MOST Workshop - Final Announcement, 13-15 November 2012, Potsdam, Germany
4MOST Workshop - Final Announcement
Large Area Optical Spectroscopic Surveys: Science with 4MOST
13-15 November 2012, Leibniz-Institut für Astrophysik Potsdam (AIP), Germany
Deadline for registration: 1 November 2012
The 4MOST consortium invites the astronomical community to a workshop on Science with Large Area Spectroscopic Surveys to develop the specific needs for spectroscopic survey facilities in the next decade. This three-day workshop (13-15 Nov 2012) held at the AIP, Potsdam, will enable discussions between scientists from all astronomical fields from both inside and outside the 4MOST consortium. The aim is to explore synergies between imaging and spectroscopic surveys and to ensure that the 4MOST capabilities and observational strategies will satisfy the largest range of science opportunities. Further information is available at the Workshop web page at workshop.4most.eu/ and in the attached document.
H. Boehringer, A. Brown, M.-R. Cioni, J. Drew, S. Driver, G. Gilmore, L. Guzzo, A. Hopkins, M. Jarvis, F. Kitaura, A. Korn, H. Ludwig, R. McMahon, A. Merloni , A. Miglio, I. Minchev, J. Mohr, R. Napiwotzki, B. Nichol, M. Rejkuba, A. Schwope, T. Shanks, M. Steinmetz, S. Trager, R. Wichmann.
Session 1: 4MOST and spectroscopic surveys
- 4MOST instrument, technical capabilities
- Design Reference Surveys, survey strategies, and operational modes
- 4MOST Facility Simulator
- WEAVE and options for all-sky surveys
- Experience from RAVE, SDSS, Gaia-ESO, GAMA
Session 2: Galactic system surveys
- 4MOST Milky Way Halo & stellar streams Design Reference Surveys
- 4MOST Milky Way Disks, Bulge & Bar Design Reference Surveys
- Surveys (e.g., Gaia, VISTA, VST)
- Other Stellar Populations (e.g., White Dwarfs, X-ray luminous, variables, transients, Planetary Nebula, Open Clusters, Globular Clusters)
- Nearby galaxies (LMC, SMC)
Session 3: Extra-galactic and cosmology surveys
- 4MOST eROSITA AGN and Galaxy Clusters Design Reference Surveys
- 4MOST Large Scale Structure and Cosmology Design Reference Surveys
- Surveys (e.g., Euclid, VISTA, VST, DES, ASKAP, MeerKAT)
- Galaxy populations and their evolution (radio, sub-mm, IR, optical, UV, X-ray)
- Transients (supernovae and GRBs)
Deadline for requesting Oral presentation is October 26th. Registration for other participants closes November 1st. For registration please go to the Workshop web page at workshop.4most.eu/. The registration fee of 40 Euro includes tea/coffee breaks and lunches.
Venue and Accomodation:
The workshop will be held at the Babelsberg campus of the AIP, An der Sternwarte 16, D-14482 Potsdam, Germany.
Participants are responsible for arranging their own accommodation. The workshop web page lists hotel recommendations against AIP rates.