Research Fellowship in Astronomy - GAIA_118.692
Research Fellowship in Astronomy
Job/Fellowship Reference: GAIA_118.692
Main research field: Astronomy
Job summary: Aim: to develop activities in the Portuguese participation in the Gaia DPAC (ESA). Specifically, work on the Initial Catalog of Quasars to Gaia and the selection of a sample of objects for follow-up on the radio and visible, with subsequent analysis in the GREAT (Gaia Research for European Astronomy Training).
1. Type of scholarship contest - Research Fellowship
2. Number of grant awards - 1
3. Scientific Area
4. Disclosure of funding sources (must be expressed mention of financial support from FCT / MCTES through funds national (PIDDAC) and, where applicable, the co-financing by the European Regional Development Fund (FEDER) through the COMPETE - Operational Programme for Competitiveness ), plus the identification of reference and title project under which the competition is held Project PTDC/CTE-SPA/118692/2010., Gaia - National Participation in the Data Processing and Analysis Consortium (DPAC) and Early Science Preparation, FCT/MCTES (PIDDAC)
5. Admission requirements
Degree in Astronomy or Physics. Computer expertise covering areas related to data mining. Experience in astronomical data reduction (not mandatory)
6. Working plan
Aim: to develop activities in the Portuguese participation in the Gaia DPAC (ESA). Specifically, work on the Initial Catalog of Quasars to Gaia and the selection of a sample of objects for follow-up on the radio and visible, with subsequent analysis in the GREAT (Gaia Research for European Astronomy Training).
7. Legislation and regulations
Law no. 40/2004 of August 18 (Status of Scientific Research Fellow); Regulations for Advanced Training and Qualification of Human Resources 2010
8. Host institution
Laboratory of Systems, Instrumentation and Modeling for Environmental Science and Technology and Space (SIM), Faculty of Sciences, University of Lisbon, and Geo-Space Sciences Research Centre , Faculty of Sciences, University of Porto (CICGE), under the supervision of Sonia Antón (CICGE and collaborator of SIM).
9. Period of the grant
Beginning in 16 july 2012 the research fellowship will last for 6 months with possibility of extension up to 17 months.
10. Value of monthly maintenance allowance
The amount of the grant amounts to € 745, according to the table of values of grants awarded directly by the FCT, IP in the country (http://alfa.fct.mctes.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores). The Fellows will enjoy a personal accident insurance, and if not covered by any social protection scheme can ensure the right to social security through adherence to voluntary social insurance scheme, pursuant to Decree-Law no. 40/89 of 1 February. The scholarships will be paid monthly by bank transfer.
11. Application deadline (may not be less than 10 days) and form of applications (contacts and documentation)
Applications must be submitted 15/06/12 until 28/06/12, via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the word "Gaia" in the subject, accompanied by the following documents: Letter of expression of interest (max. 2 p.) Curriculum Vitae, both in English.
12. Selection method (curriculum evaluation, interview, etc..) and its valuation
The pre-selection of candidates will be based on curriculum evaluation. The two best rated candidates will be interviewed-- 50% of the mark.
13. Composition of Jury
Sonia Antón Castillo (Jury President), Ian Browne (vowel), Jose Pereira Osorio (vowel).
14. Form of disclosure / notification of results
The final evaluation will be publicized by email to candidates.